Join Our Team
Are you a Student?!
AVAILABLE: Women & Children’s Recreational Worker (Summer Student Contract Position)
This position is being advertised under the Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ) initiative. To be eligible for this position you must have been a full-time student during the previous academic year and be intending to return to full-time studies in the next academic year. You also must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or a refugee under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. You must also be legally entitled to work according to relevant provincial legislation and regulations
Women & Children’s Recreational Support Worker (Summer Student Contract Position)
Herizon House is a 30 bed shelter for women and children leaving abusive relationships. We offer crisis intervention counselling, emergency shelter, a transitional housing program, outreach programs and child and family programs. We are located in Durham Region.
We are seeking a talented, self-motivated and energetic individual to work in our shelter supporting the women and children residents. The successful candidate can work independently and takes direction well. You have a good knowledge base of the issue of violence against women and the impact on children who witness abuse. The candidate is able to problem solve, be resourceful and will be expected to take the initiative to create activities and programs for the children at the shelter. This candidate will have confidence in working with both mother’s and children. As well as being able to effectively assess crisis and manage their environment in an ever changing setting. The ideal candidate has excellent written and verbal communication skills and is committed to working from a non-judgmental, anti-oppressive feminist framework.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Develop, plan, schedule implement and facilitate summer recreational programming for children and youth.
• Contribute items to agency special events
• Create weekly programming and routines for the children in the shelter
• Provide childcare when necessary to support mothers in the shelter
• Support daily routines of shelter (i.e. sanitizing toys, preparing rooms for new intakes, light errands).
• Other Duties as Required
• Must be a full-time returning student in social work/services, child and youth or related field.
• Previous placement experience in a social service agency is an asset.
• Strong desire and passion for working and supporting children, youth and their families.
• Knowledge of barriers facing women leaving abusive relationships.
• Capable of working independently and within a team.
• Must be self-motivated, ready to take initiative and bring creativity to the position
• Some knowledge of community resources that support children
• Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
• Must be available to work Monday – Friday, shifts will vary from day time (9am- 5pm) and evenings (12pm -9pm).
• Applicants must provide an updated Criminal Reference Check
Herizon House seeks to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our ongoing commitment to the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act we will provide assistance to applicants who request accommodation through the entire recruitment and hiring process.
We thank all applicants however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Position is a full-time 10 week contract from June 5th – August 25th 2017.
Hourly rate: $15.75
If you are interested in applying for the summer contract position listed, please send your resume and cover letter to:
Passionate about ending violence against women?
Consider applying to join the staff of Herizon House!
Herizon House is an innovative and empowering organization devoted to the provision of services for women and their children.
We hope to add to our vibrant, enthusiastic staff team with the following positions:
Job Title: Crisis Intervention Counsellor: Relief
Location: ON – Durham Region
If you are interested in applying for a position listed, please send your resume and cover letter to:
or apply on Charity Village: